The lymphatic system consists of lymphatic vessels and nodes through which lymph flows. Lymph is a blood plasma filtrate, located in tissues. Lymph contains toxins, metabolites, dead cells, bacteria, water, etc...The main function of the lymphatic system is to remove waste, toxins and excess fluids from the body.
Manual lymphatic drainage is a highly effective massage focused on loosening basal lymph nodes, which supports lymph circulation. It promotes faster elimination of metabolic waste, toxins, fluids and swelling and speeds up regeneration and tissue healing processes. Manual lymphatic drainage therapy is used for body clensing and detox and to support the immune system, enhance weight loss and reduce cellulite.
Manual lymphatic drainage
Manual lymphatic drainage massage begins with the release of the cervical lymph nodes and other basal nodes. After this comes a gentle massage downstreem from the lymph nodes, which supports lymph flow. The massage is pleasant, gentle and painless. Adequate fluid intake (drink water) is important the day of manual lymphatic drainage. Avoid alcohol, coffee and heavy meals after the therapy.
Number of manual lymphatic drainage sessions
The number of session is very individual, and depends on the indication for the manual lymphatic drainage therapy. However, it is always better and more effective to udergo this massage multiple times. In individuals with post-injury conditions, manual lymphatic drainage is applied until the swelling or hematoma disappears. For purposes of body cleansing, weight loss, immune system support and swollen legs, the therapy is typically performed 8-10 times. Idealy, the therapy is performed twice per week at the beginning of treatment. The frequency decreases as the treatment progresses.
Benefits of manual lymphatic drainage
- Detoxification, removal of metabolic waste products and toxins from the body
- Regeneration and tissue healing after injuries, operations and excessive physical activities
- Elimination of swelling after injuries or hematoma of another origin
- Strengthening of the immune system
- Helps reduce cellulite and increases skin quality
- Prevents varicose or popped veins
When isn't the right time for manual lymphatic drainage
- actute viral or bacterial diseases
- swelling caused by kidney, liver or heart malfunctioning
- acute oncological disease
- acute vein inflammation (phlebitis)
- open wounds or acute skin disease